Older children benefit from strollers as well. Your 3, 4, or even 5-year-old might get tired legs when you’re out and about for the day. Sometimes, your 3-year-old might want to ride in the stroller when you spent all day at the zoo, or the park might be just a bit further than your child can walk comfortably. Considering one of the best strollers for older children is a smart investment.
Buying a stroller for older children is a smart idea when your child is outside of the “normal” percentile for height or weight. All of my children have been large babies – 9 pounds and above at birth – and large babies make big toddlers. Let’s not forget that strollers for older children are also important for kids who have special needs.
Are you ready to take a look at the best strollers for older children? Let’s dive right in!
The Benefits of a Stroller for Older Children
So, are you wondering why you should purchase a stroller for your older child? It seems silly to buy a stroller for a child who is capable of walking for extended times, and most strollers aren’t designed with bigger kids in mind.
I remember when I first was happy that I purchased a stroller capable of holding a bigger kid. Our family went to the beach, and everyone knows that beach vacations are fun! We spent the day on the beach and the evenings on the boardwalk, riding rollercoasters and other amusement rides.
Well, it’s a long walk back to the hotel from the boardwalk. Two of my kids were 18 months and four years old, and my 4-year-old rode in the stroller back each night. His legs were just too tired by the end of the day to make it back.
So, a few advantages of a stroller for older kids include:
- Your larger-than-normal child will be more comfortable in the seats because they’re more spacious.
- Parents who have special needs children can get out of the house easier, whether that’s running errands or going on a trip.
- You can give your older child a break when you’re out for the entire day.
- It makes it easier to have a fit and active lifestyle because you can take your older child everywhere, even if they’re tired.
- Everyone has a relaxing experience.
- Your child might have a medical condition that makes walking a bit harder. Sometimes, your child might get adaptive strollers or wheelchairs, but you might need a place to contain your child while on the go.
How to Pick the Best Stroller for Older Children
How are you supposed to determine the best stroller for older children? You want a stroller that works for your family, and that’s not easy to figure out. All families and kids are unique! Some features make each stroller perfect for someone, so let’s take a look at those features@
When it comes to picking a stroller for older children, you want a stroller with a higher weight capacity. It should fit larger kids, so that means it has to hold them.
What size is your child? It doesn’t make sense to purchase a stroller with a 55lb weight limit if your child is already 50lbs. Make sure to match the weight with your child’s growth. Remember they do tend to grow slower as they get older!
Even older children might want to lean back and take a snooze in the stroller. The recline should meet the current age if the child and offer several positions that might work for your child’s age. Older kids usually prefer an upright position, but little kids need a lower recline.
No matter your child’s age, having at least a few reclining positions is nice. Toddlers and preschoolers need naps, and it can keep them comfortable when you’re out for the day. Ideally, it should be easy to readjust the stroller recline with one hand, allowing you to adjust the stroller when you notice your child getting sleepy.
How You Want to Use the Stroller
Think about how you plan to use your stroller. Do you typically spend more of the time running areas or going to a local museum? Do you prefer taking long walks with your children at parks or around local lakes? Those with more active lifestyles have to consider that when selecting a stroller.
If you like to jog, then you need a jogging stroller. If you want to go shopping, look for a stroller that turns corners easily.
Easy to Push and Maneuver
If you’ve ever pushed an older child in a stroller, then you know that it might take a bit effort. Ideally, the best stroller will be easy to push and maneuver around turns. Features such as ergonomic handlebars and adjustable handlebar height make pushing your stroller even easier.
Size of the Stroller
Chances are you don’t want the stroller to weigh as much as your big kid, right? It’s nice to have a lightweight stroller that you can handle every day. You’ll need to lift it in and out of your vehicle, unfold it, fold it again, and so forth. Always look at the size of the strollers you’re debating!
Look at the folded dimensions. Will it fit into your vehicle? Nothing is worse than buying a stroller that you’re so excited to try only to find out it doesn’t fit into the trunk of your car. Some strollers have a bulkier design.
The 8 Best Strollers for Older Children
We love the UPPABaby G-Luxe Stroller! It’s an umbrella-style stroller that fits larger children with a 55-pound weight limit. UPPABaby added an adjustable height canopy, perfect for a taller child. This canopy is one of the best on the market, extending as a sunshade with a UPF 50$+ rating.
Tall parents appreciate the tall, adjustable handlebars, but they also work great for short parents. It uses a single foot pedal brake, and you’ll find that the seat is quite comfortable. The seat is 13-inches wide and deep with a 20-inch extended backrest. It has generous padding and an easy recline. Plus, if your child has an accident, you can remove the fabric and toss it in the washing machine.
Other features that we love about the UPPABaby G-Luxe include:
- The single front wheel design makes it easier to push on uneven terrains, such as gravel.
- It has added an all-wheel suspension that makes bumps easier and smoother.
- UPPABaby added integrated cup holders and a generous storage basket for parents’ items.
- The stroller is lightweight, weighing only 15 pounds!
- It includes a carrying strap, so you can toss it over your shoulder if you need to fold the stroller up.
|55lb Weight Limit|
|One Hand, Deep Recline|
|Washable Seat Fabric|
|Hard to Fold|
|Can’t Attach a Car Seat|
Never heard of Maclaren? This company is known for creating high-quality strollers with higher weight limits, perfect for older kids. Quest is one of the highest-rated choices by parents. You can’t deny the thousands of happy parents that have left fantastic ratings for this stroller!
The Maclaren Quest holds a child up to 55lbs, and it only weighs 12lbs! That makes it an excellent choice for portability and traveling. You can easily lift the stroller if you need to stow it away in the trunk or lift in and out of public transportation.
One nice feature about the Quest is that it has a newborn safety system that lets you recline fully and extend the leg rest. You can comfortably and safely use this stroller with your babies. Parents also love the large canopy that extends widely over the seat with a UPF 50+ rating.
What else do we love about the Maclaren Quest? A few things include:
- There are four different reclining positions, and reclining the seat is easy! It just takes one hand, so you don’t have to struggle or remove your child from the stroller.
- You can put the seat fabric into the washing machine whenever it’s soiled.
- Maclaren includes a wind and rain resistant cover to protect your child.
- The stroller is incredibly easy to fold!
- It has a four-wheel suspension system that makes the ride smooth no matter what terrain you’re covering at the time.
|Safety System for Newborns|
|Four Reclining Positions|
|55lb Weight Limit|
|Easy to Fold|
|Handles Aren’t Ergonomic|
|Buckles Might Come Undone|
The GB Pockit Plus is one of the unique strollers on our list, and it’s an excellent choice for big kids. You can fold the Pockit Plus up and hide it under a table at a restaurant or behind the seat in your car. Seriously – it’s that small!
GB made some improvements with their new Plus model. It is better suited for taller and bigger kids because it offers a wider seat. It’s more comfortable for kids to ride in for extended times. We love that it’s one of the smallest and best portable strollers on the market, weighing only 13 pounds.
A few other reasons that you will love the GB Pockit Plus include:
- The reclining backrest makes it perfect for tired toddlers and preschoolers.
- It has a redesigned canopy that is bigger and rounded.
- It’s easy to fold up the stroller when you’re on the go, but it’s not a one-hand fold.
|Easy to Steer and Maneuver|
|Full, Comfortable Seat|
|Small Storage Basket|
|Not Suitable for Uneven Terrain|
Do you have two kids and want to be able to jog? It can be hard to find a jogging stroller for older children, and the Bob Revolution Flex Duallie is an excellent choice. BOB created this stroller with a weight capacity of 100 pounds. Two kids can fit into this stroller comfortably.
Parents can use this stroller starting at eight weeks old. You can purchase a car seat attachment from BOB that allows you to use it with infants. The seats are comfortable with padding, and each seat reclines independently. Your infant can recline fully while your toddler sits upright.
We also love several other features on the BOB Revolution Flex Duallie, such as:
- The fantastic suspension system that ensures the stroller is capable of handling a variety of terrain. You can take this stroller anywhere and still have a smooth ride.
- It has a large storage basket that is easy to access.
|Independently Reclining Seats|
|Advanced Suspension System|
|Car Seat Adapter Available|
|100lb Weight Limit|
|Doesn’t Include Cup Holders or Snack Trays|
|Large and Bulky|
Are you looking for an all-terrain stroller and have a big budget available to spend? If so, the Thule Urban Glide is the perfect pick for you. It’s an all-terrain stroller, perfect for active families, that can handle a variety of terrains. Thule used an advanced suspension system so that this stroller is quick and easy to maneuver around turns while taking bumps in the trail with ease.
One of the most helpful features is the handlebar because it’s ergonomically designed for comfort. You can adjust the handle to different heights. Plus, Thule added water-repelling pads to the handlebar that you can remove and machine wash.
What else do we love about the Thule Urban Glide? Let’s take a look!
- It is excellent for older children because it has a 75lb weight capacity.
- The seats are generously padded for maximum comfort. Plus, the ventilated top of the seat encourages airflow around your child.
- If your child needs a nap, you can recline this seat to a near flat position.
- Thule added an adjustable, extendable sunshade with a peek-a-boo window.
- If you need a travel system, parents can purchase a car seat adapter to turn this stroller into a travel system.
- Parents love the extra-large storage basket under the seat.
|75lb Weight Capacity|
|Comfortable Seat for Your Child|
|Large and Bulky|
Joovy creates modern, sleek strollers for an affordable price. We love that the Joovy Zoom 360 has a 75lb weight capacity, which is one of the highest on our list. That makes it an excellent pick for a stroller for older children.
Joovy added an extra-wide seat, so your bigger kid can fit comfortably on the seat. With the raised seat, your big kid can see everything that’s going on around them, but Joovy always added a nice reclining feature. Your child can get a quick power nap while on the go.
That’s not all there is to love about the Joovy Zoom 360. Here are some more awesome features.
- It has an extended canopy that goes out further over the seat than other strollers, offering coverage for even big kids!
- The three-wheel design makes it easy to push and maneuver around corners and turns.
- The front wheel is lockable, so pushing over uneven, bumpy terrain won’t tip the stroller over.
- You’ll love the compact, quick folding design of the stroller.
- There are spots for drinks and snacks in the stroller.
|75lb Weight Capacity|
|Doesn’t Fit Infant Car Seat Without Adapters|
Are you looking for an everyday stroller for older children? The Zoe XL1 is a lightweight stroller that only weighs 11lbs. It folds up and opens seamlessly, so you can take it wherever you want to go, whether it’s the store or the park.
You’ll love that it folds compactly so that it won’t take up much space in your trunk. We also love that it has a nicely padded seat with a deep recline up to 165 degrees. There is also a huge canopy that will cover your child to his knees.
A few other reasons that you’ll love the Zoe XL1 includes:
- The seat is spacious with plenty of headroom for your tall child.
- Zoe added front-wheel suspension that allows you to push your stroller over uneven terrain with ease. It will bounce a bit, but not as much as it would without a suspension system.
- It comes with a snack cup, and a cup holder, plus parents also have a cup holder. Don’t forget that it includes a belly bar.
- This stroller is affordable, considering it has some great features!
|Large, Extending Canopy|
|Not Ideal for Uneven Terrain|
|Storage Basket is Stiff and Hard to Use|
Our last pick for a stroller for older children is the Special Tomato EIO Push Chair. This stroller is designed for children with special needs, so it has a weight capacity of 90lbs. You can use it for years and years with your child. However, the stroller does weigh 22lbs, so that’s something to consider!
Raising special needs children comes with different challenges, and Special Tomato designed their stroller to make life just a bit easier. This stroller is a welcome asset in your life.
This stroller includes features that a special needs parent would want, such as adjustable foot panels and back panels. Since the positions aren’t fixed, you can find the perfect angle to keep your child happy. We love that the entire stroller is hypoallergenic and latex-free, perfect for your child with sensitive skin or skin reactions.
A few other features that we love include:
- They use large, airless tires so that you don’t have to worry about a flat tire leaving you stranded with your child.
- Special Tomato added a padded, sturdy body harness that holds your child in tightly.
- There is plenty of storage underneath the seat, perfect for all of the bags you need to carry.
- It’s easy to fold and stow away.
|90lb Weight Limit|
|Adjustable Foot and Back Panels|
|Includes a 2-Year Warranty|
Just because you have an older child doesn’t mean your child won’t love a stroller. Using strollers for older children gives their little legs a break when you’re out and about for the day. Your child will enjoy being able to stroll around the park instead of trying to keep up, and you’ll find that you use a lot more than you expect.